ALL About Coconut Oil
Today’s Muse will be on a beauty cum health sharing on the amazing health benefits of coconut oil. This topic has been brought to Da Rabbit’s attention by her friend – Samantha who claimed that Coconut Oil has many health benefits especially towards pregnant and nursing mothers… Also, Coconut Oil can aid in weight loss too!
Stay tuned to find out why…
What is Coconut Oil
Coconut itself is a tropical fruit from the coconut trees which are most commonly found in beaches.Coconut Oil has been commonly used in tropical countries like India, Sri Lanka, Thailand etc. Coconut Oil can be applied externally for skincare / haircare and also ingested for internal well-being.
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil has many health benefits including but not limited to the following:
- Maintain Healthy Cholesterol Levels
- Weight Loss
- Helps in diabetes, heart diseases, high blood pressure, HIV, Kidney Ailments and Cancer
- Improve Dental Health and Bone Strength
- Maintain good digestion and regulated metabolism
- Boosts Immune System
The health benefits arise due to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprvlic acid which have anti-fungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial and soothing properties.
Coconut Oil and Weight Loss
Coconut Oil contains short and medium chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight. It helps to increase the body’s metabolism by removing stress on the pancreas and hence more energy is being burnt which can result in weight loss.
Types of Coconut Oil and Recommended Usage
- Expeller Pressed / Other types of Refined Coconut Oil: Suitable for external uses
- Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil: Internal Use / For consumption
Uses of Coconut Oil
Extracted from: http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/
(Will highlight a few which Da Rabbit thinks is a good try below)
- In cooking as a great oil with a high smoke point. Great for baking, stir-frys or as a dairy free replacement to butter.
- As a coffee creamer when emulsified into coffee
- On the skin as a basic lotion
- In homemade lotion bars for soft, smooth skin
- In homemade deodorant or deodorant bars
- As an eye-makeup remover
- As a cloth diaper safe diaper cream (just rub on baby’s bottom)
- To lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin
- To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
- Topically to kill yeast or yeast infections
- As a delicious tropical massage oil
- A tiny dab rubbed on your hands and then through hair will help get rid of friz
- As an intensive nighttime anti-aging facial moisturizer
- Mixed with equal parts sugar for a smoothing body scrub (use in the shower)
- Rubbed on lips as a natural chap stick
- Topically, can help skin heal faster after injury or infection
- As an incredibly intensive natural conditioner- Rub into dry hair, put a shower cap on and leave for several hours. Helps reduce split ends too!
- On feet to fight athlete’s foot or tor fungus
- In place of Lanolin cream on nursing nipples to sooth irritation (also great for baby!)
- Can help sooth psoriasis or eczema
- With apple cider vinegar as a natural treatment for lice that actually works
- Rub coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
- Nursing moms can take 3-4 tablespoons a day (and Vitamin D) to increase milk supply and nutrients
- There is some evidence that coconut oil helps digestion and may even kill intestinal parasites or yeast
- Mix a tablespoon with a tablespoon of chia seeds for an all-day energy boost (do NOT take this at night!)
- Blend a tablespoon into hot tea to help speed recovery from cold or flu
- As a replacement for vegetable oils in any recipe as it is better for high temperature cooking than olive or vegetable oils
- As a natural shave cream and after shave lotion
- When used consistently on skin it can help get rid of cellulite
- Apply onto mosquito bites to relief skin of the itch
- Can be rubbed into scalp daily to stimulate hair growth
- Mixed with salt to remove dry skin on feet
- Can help speed weight loss when consumed daily
- Can help improve sleep when taken daily
- Can be used to speed healing of fungal infections when taken internally and used externally
- A tablespoon melted into a cup of warm tea can help sooth a sore throat
- To help sooth the itch of chicken pox or poison ivy
- By itself as a natural deodorant
- By itself or with baking soda as a naturally whitening toothpaste
- For pets struggling with skin issues when used externally
- As a safe cooking oil for deep frying
- A tablespoon taken before each meal can help improve digestion
- Can be taken in warm ginger tea to sooth heartburn or nausea
- On hands after doing dishes to avoid dry skin
- Mixed with catnip, rosemary, or mint essential oils as a natural bug repellent
- Can be used on mom’s nipple and baby’s mouth to help treat thrush
- Can be used internally and externally to speed recovery from Urinary Tract Infection
- Can relieve the pain of hemorrhoids when used topically
- Can boost circulation and help those who often feel cold
- On cuticles to help nails grow
- Rub into elbows daily to help alleviate dry, flaky elbows
- Add to smoothies to give them a nutritional boost
- Internally during pregnancy to help provide baby necessary fats for
development (especially when taken with Fermented Cod Liver Oil)
Coconut Oil and Pregnancy
Yes, Coconut Oil is safe for consumption before, during and after pregnancy. So its every mother’s best friend 🙂
According to this article: http://www.divine-mama.com/blogs/mamahood/8242857-the-benefits-of-coconut-oil-before-during-and-after-pregnancy the benefits of Coconut Oil for pregnancy is expounded as follows:
- Regular coconut oil consumption can help balance hormones.
Properly-balanced hormone levels make it much more likely for a woman to
ovulate and to conceive.
oil is rich in lauric acid, a rare medium-chain fatty acid that is also
present in breast milk. Lauric acid is antiviral, antifungal and
antibacterial. Increasing coconut oil consumption during pregnancy
might help support both the mother’s and baby’s immune systems.
- There is evidence that coconut oil – by helping to balance blood sugar – might help women avoid or control gestational diabetes.
- Coconut oil can help alleviate symptoms of morning sickness. While taking the oil “straight up” might be too much
for some women, it’s easy to stir some coconut oil into soup, hot cereal
or a warm drink.
- Rubbing coconut oil on your skin can help prevent or relieve the
itching and discomfort often connected to pregnancy. Coconut oil’s
moisturizing properties can also help prevent stretch marks.
- Coconut oil is an excellent personal lubricant. It can help to alleviate
the discomfort of vaginal dryness, a symptom sometimes present during
- Coconut Oil can be used on baby’s diaper to treat diaper rash and cradle cap. It is non-toxic and very gentle on baby’s skin.
- If you’re breastfeeding, you might suffer from irritated or sore
nipples. Applying coconut oil can help prevent and treat cracking and
- The medium-chain fatty acids
in coconut oil are reported to help increase milk flow. The body needs
adequate fat in order to produce enough breast milk to support the
- The antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties of coconut
oil continue to be of benefit after the baby is born. The lauric acid that is consumed in coconut oil will be directly passed on to the child via breast milk.
- Coconut oil is perfect for massaging infants. Infant massages
can help calm and relax babies, and has been shown to improve sleep.
Improved sleep for baby means better sleep for Mom!
Where to Buy in Singapore
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil can be purchased from organic stores like Nature’s Farm or you might want to try getting them from supermarkets like Cold Storage.
For the normal types of coconut oil for external / topical use, you can try getting them from Mustafa @ Little India – they are selling it a a more competitive pricing.
That’s all about the Muse over Coconut Oil! Have fun exploring with the usage and recipes using coconut oil or if you are as lazy busy as Da Rabbit, simply just mix a couple tablespoons of organic virgin coconut oil into your beverage for daily consumption! Coconut oil smells great too 🙂